I have started brewing my own beer. That is right, people, I have a hobby.
My Sister is hoping for some brotherly competition, but I have no desire to compete with Benj. Also, what chance would an extract beer have against all grain? Not much.
Today I was in the field with a truck rig driving a hollow stem auger into about 50 ft (15.24 meters) of fill. It boggles the mind as to why this location has so much fill, but, it aint my job to know the why, just the what....at least on this current project.
As I have entered the work force, I cannot help but notice how certain aspects of my education has left me totally ignorant of the real world applications of Geology. Let us just say I had some catching up to do.
Today's Gripes:
Clayey
Huh? What the frig is a clayey? Is that even a real word? Never heard of that in all my years of study. Apparently, Clayey is how engineers and laymen call a layer containing clay. I could make a whole post on the different writing standards that exist in the private sector with regards to soil classification, but that is for another time. Sand containing a significant amount of clay sized particles is called Clayey SAND. Not Sand with Clay or Sand containing Clay or Clay in Sand. Clayey. Stupid word. Plus, I had to make my spell check learn it.
Layperson
Laymen. Makes me want to strangle the person that came up with that PC garbage.
Hollow Stem Auger. I had never before been on a proper drill rig. It was an awesome experience. Just taking a peek at the subsurface make me happy, but to drill down 50 feet and pull up a 2 foot core that is split open makes me feel like a kid on Christ Mass. What could it be? What is hidden inside that core? Sand? Rock? Clay?
Today we found wood! Not just any wood, but wood that smelled like it had come out of the ass of a horse. Terrible smell, but so awesome to drill down and find this sort of thing. Could it have been an old manure dump? A rotting wood log? Jimmy Hoffa? Locusts?
Yep, life is good. It will be even better after I bottle my beer.
2 comments:
you still got a job; some guys are out of work or fired
Sounds interesting, kinda like Tweeting.
Post a Comment