About a month ago I picked up an external HD. I had run out of space on my little 50 GB HD on my laptop. It was a strange looking thing by a company I had never heard of, but it worked and worked well. Over the past month I had accumulated about 90 gigs of its total 160. Most of it were music, pictures, tv shows, and movies.This was the cheapest external portable HD Cost Co sold.
Last week I brought the HD over to my sisters to give her some Blackadder shows. By the by, if you ever wish to see an awesome British comedy, I highly suggest the Blackadder series, just stay away from the first season.
Anywho, I plugged the HD in, downloaded the file with no issues, but when my sister wanted a movie all hell broke loose. The HD freaked out. I just sat there with the downloading bar at 35%. I could not stop it, I could not safely remove it from her computer. I took it home and found out that many of the files would not open. Then I ran a CheckDisk on the sucker. It took several hours to complete and sure enough, corruptions ran rampant. The disk had bad sectors! Information was corrupted and lost!
I told this to Binarian, and he said I had about a week before it was totally useless.
And Lo! He was absolutely Correct. Two days ago I got what important files I could off the damn thing before it freaked out and shut down entirely. I lost a good amount of my pictures and a few songs.
The rest are sitting comfortably in my nice Western Digital HD. I cant remember if I backed up my pictures on a disk. I think I lost one friends weddings picts I had taken. I returned the HD to Cost Co for store credit, seeing as how I am returning to NY this week, I gave the card to my mother. No Cost Co's in NY.
Heed my warning on SimpleTech. Best Lie carries a huge number of these little data bombs. Watch your step.
5 comments:
why all the hate for best buy?
Is Target on the hate list ?
dub,
are you kidding? best buy is THE single worst store in recent retail history. the customer service is the main problem...oh, and clueless sales people. I hated the place in the 90's and hate it more now. I ONLY got there to browse an item that I'll get online anyway. The place caters to moronic consumers....the walmart crowd.
damn, tell me how you really feel. lol
HA. Let the record reflect, it was not my computer's fault. So stop blaming me.
Post a Comment