Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Kumquat!


Gentlemen, BEHOLD! The Kumquat.

I was introduced to this strange little oblong citrus fruit about a year ago. Apparently one is supposed to pop the whole thing right into ones mouth. There are some cultures that just eat the sweet sweet rind and discard the sour insides. I believe that, as in life, one should take the sweet with the sour. It also helps that I happen to love sour fruit. Nevertheless, I was pleasantly surprised to find kumquats here in PR. I would have thought people would not be interested in fruits as unique as these. Hell, even the checkout guy looked at me funny and asked what they were. Kumquats. Just pop them in your mouth for a quick pickmeup or a shot of vitamin C.

Spring rains are here this week. Seems that if the rain is severe enough the electricity goes out for a couple blocks. Reminds me of when I was a kid growing up in Detroit...er...I mean Rio Piedras. All of us just sitting around a candle. Watching the flame and talking about nothing in particular. Dave would be burning things and Father would yell at him. Pretty standard really.

To this day, you cant leave a lit candle around Dave, or Ben for that matter.

But that is a story for another time.

5 comments:

Josue' said...

D,
How old are you? Kumquats have just NOW hit your taste buds. Man, get out and explore your world.......scientist. :P

Those mofos are excellent.

Nice Rio Piedras reset...A candle in the D is like a Dominicano in Santurce...EVERYWHERE you look! :p

phun N gab and the Gay Circus Elves said...

Spray paint and WD-40 mix well with candles

phun N gab and the Gay Circus Elves said...

... with lit candles

Anonymous said...

Kumquats are good. Quenepas r better.

The D said...

I am old enough to know a kumquat when I see one. I am sorry I didn't live in the "cultural center of the US" otherwise known as detroit @_@.

Double tru, Quenepas are the best ever. Unfortunately they will not be in season in May when the peeps start getting down here for the shindig.