Friday, October 12, 2007

Foot in Mouth Disease

I put my foot in my mouth really badly yesterday.

The Scene:
Office of a new grad student. She has a whole bunch of pictures on her wall in front of her desk. I walk into her office to say hello and chitchat.

I see a picture of a girl on her wall. I ask her about said girl. She says it is a friend of mine and that another picture of her is around here somewhere. I spy picture of girls standing in a line posing for the camera. One girl is profile view. She has a large belly and looks to me like she is pregnant...

I say, "Oh, is that girl Pregnant?"

She says in a monotone voice, "No. That girl is me. Thanks."

Embarrassment washes over me like a flood from a broken dam.

I am apologizing like no tomorrow, while sort of laughing a little at my stupidity. I backed away talking about how embarrassed I was and how I was sorry and that it was the shirt she was wearing that confused me.

Yep...I am a dumbass.

8 comments:

phun N gab and the Gay Circus Elves said...

It's okay, I say stupid things too. Sometimes I have to learn to keep my mouth shut, especially when communicating with a woman only by telepathy

Josue' said...

Ouch! Man, the womens love you. :p

Anonymous said...

on the question of pregnancy, the answer is always let them bring that one up...

Anonymous said...

meh, she needs to work on da belly then. flatten that sombi-ch out or expect that question :D

The D said...

Let me reiterate, I did NOT know it was HER.

Josue' said...

D,
no matter what you say now, it's SUPERbad moves to insult the womens like that.

File that in your LESSONs LEARNED file...should one actually exist. :p

Anonymous said...

yup, whether you know who it is or not, ALWAYS a bad move to bring up pregnancy first.

particularly since maternity style shirts seem to be the hip thing to wear nowadays. lots of chicks looks preggers that isn't.

phun N gab and the Gay Circus Elves said...

hey Mikey, go buy a mumu