Monday, April 29, 2013

You're weird.

Ever since I was a child, other kids have told me I was weird.  I never understood what they meant.

Of course, this was when I started to be more social, which was about high school.  As a child I was always very quiet.

When I started talking more, I talked about strange animal facts, or rocks, or just my observations.  Inevitably, I would be told, "You're weird." by some child.  I was just being myself.  This is what every children's book tells you to be.

Fast forward 15 years.   I am hanging with my brother and best friend at an outdoor coffee shop.  We see this hipster guy riding a 10 foot tall bike.  He passes the outdoor area then turns around and passes again.  I tell my friend and bro to just ignore the guy because all he wants is attention. Him riding his ridiculous bike up and down the street is just him yelling, "LOOK AT ME!"

To this, my friend says, "You are just like that guy!  You are weird."  To this I explained, "I am just being myself, which others claim is weird, but how I act is not weird to me.  It is people like you that feel the need to call me weird and draw attention to me.  That is the difference."

No comments: