Why is it that I always read about Americans calling this person or that person a hero? Sometimes they even call the 2,000 regular people who died in the world trade center attacks "heroes". The "heroes" of nine eleven. Heroes heroes heroes...victims? Americans constantly confuse victims with heroes. It is really annoying to read about how this and that person who died for a worthless cause is a hero. I am probably going to piss off many persons with my post here, but that is just the way I feel about it. Here is a test of what I am talking about.Me: Mom, I was stabbed with a pencil today by some racist, carhartt wearing, ignorant fool, who was sitting behind me in class. He was angry at me because I was pondering the reasoning in the expression "Same difference" he had just used. I had never heard such a strange thing said and asked him how interesting a statement it was and what it exactly meant. To which he replied, "Why don't you learn to speak our language!" Annoyed by his sudden attack I fired back with, "I speak your language better than you do." Then he stabbed me in the back with his pencil.
Mom: Dan, you are such a hero! I am so proud of you! My son, the hero!
By now you see my point?
This picture fills me with such sadness. The expression on the brides face is so....well, see for yourself.
Love...Duty?
I have been having trouble sleeping. I just cannot seem to get to sleep. My mind is on overdrive. My thoughts are scattered, my feelings are ups and downs. I know not what to do. What is the remedy for these events? My head hurts. It is 3:36 AM and I am awake. I have been averaging about 4 hours of sleep a night. Something must be done.
Blah, here is a thought invoking poem by Siegfried Sassoon
I KNEW a simple soldier boy
Who grinned at life in empty joy,
Slept soundly through the lonesome dark,
And whistled early with the lark.
In winter trenches, cowed and glum,
With crumps and lice and lack of rum,
He put a bullet through his brain.
No one spoke of him again.
. . . .
You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
Who cheer when soldier lads march by,
Sneak home and pray you’ll never know
The hell where youth and laughter go.
6 comments:
The word "hero" has been grossly overused since 9/11. Those people who took the Aqua Teen Hunger Force neon signs down in Boston and tried to explode them with robots are heroes. And I'm a hero for having to put up with that nonsense. You're a hero for reading my words. And we're all heroes because we live in the USA, showing great resolve despite the constant threat of terrorist attacks.
Regarding the couple in the photo, I remember reading their story in People. As I recall, his wife was very devoted to him. Sometimes photos tell lies. Or maybe we read them wrong. Maybe she is bored because the wedding photographer was taking too long. Who is to know?
Hero is used these days as much as "the", but in my eyes, we should talk Hero....Sandwiches!! Defined: A hero sandwich, also known as an Italian sub or Italian submarine sandwich, is said to have originated in New York in the late 19th century when Italian laborers wanted a convenient lunch that reminded them of home.
That pic you linked to about that Marine and his wife is an amazing reality of that woman's love for her husband. I agree with Marie in that we REALLY have no idea what was going on in THAT particular pic.
That pic is rough, makes me think of what could happen to all of us if we take anything for granted. Makes you a lot more passionate about the "right now."
Excellent poetry D. By the way, I'm annoyed as well. I think it is funny when people call us military guys "heroes." I'm no hero - I assist in our fuehrer's mission, which kills lots of innocent people, destroys other governments and ruins foreign countries. US wants peace, but makes excuses so they can wage war ? A stranger recognizes that you're in the military and you hear them say, "Thank you for what you do." I would like to tell the people of Iraq (and many others in this world), "Please forgive the leaders of my government. They are filled with ignorance." Some guys want to be 'heroes' to get a gold medal.
In that picture that is an Air Force Staff Sergeant sitting by the casket. I would also like to point out our fuehrer's evil grin with his grimacing counterpart; these men (and I use this term loosely) are responsible for the deaths of many.
Post a Comment