Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Incompetence and haircuts

I do not usually get my hair cut by people I do not know. I have this fear of getting a shitty haircut. I have fallen into the habit of asking the person cutting my hair whether they have cut minority hair before. A strange question to ask, you may think, but an important one. You see, if this person cuts just one style of hair then they are not to be trusted. A true stylist will be capable of cutting all kinds of hair.

Anywho, let me get back to my point. I went to a new place to get my hair cut. This place was an old place I had been to before, but it had moved to another location. I was weary. First off, this woman who cut my hair looked scared to be cutting my hair. She also was not very bright. In fact, she was an idiot. She did not look confidant in cutting my hair and I had neglected to ask her if was used to cutting different kinds of hair. This was a great mistake on my part. Sure, she did not do a good job, but it was not a travesty. I was able to walk out of there somewhat satisfied. I was trying something new and it just did not sit well with me. A longer on the top look. My mother seems to prefer me in this look. I am not used to it.

But, during her cutting excursion she was using this horrible scissor that was shaped oddly and she claimed it blended my hair better, but damn it if that device was not torture as it ripped my hair out by the root! But the best part was when she asked me what I was doing for Christ Mass break. I told her that I was planning on heading home to Puerto Rico but I did not know if I could go because ticket prices were outrageously expensive. They are ranging in the neighbourhood of 800$ round trip. Well, then she asks me, "How far is it? Can't you just drive there?"

YES! For the second time in my life I have been asked this most ignorant of questions! I looked at her and answered, "It's an Island...in the Caribbean Ocean."

"Oh." she answered.

The first time I was asked this question was by my neighbour while we were shoveling snow out of our driveway way back in Fredonia. I asked her what she did for vacation, she said she went home to Rochester, she then asked me what I had done. I told her that I went home to Puerto Rico.

She asked, "Was it a long drive?"

I chuckled because I thought she was making a joke, but I noticed that she has stopped shoveling. I looked at her and to my shock, she was standing there waiting for an answer. I told her, "No, it is an Island...in the Caribbean."

"Oh." she said and went about shoveling.

This disturbed me because she was going to be an Elementary teacher. I weep for the future.

4 comments:

phun N gab and the Gay Circus Elves said...

Wow

That is sadly amazing

Josue' said...

Getting a new stylist is pretty emotional and usually not a happy journey until you find someone that does a consistently good job.

Whitey has been off my list for more than 20yrs. Africans and Albanians have been cutting my lettuce several years before I hit puberty. They navigate the kink like champions. :p

I cannot believe you had that question about PR not once, but twice in your life! Truly outrageous....

Anonymous said...

wow, "Dumb as Folk"

Anonymous said...

Oh, and i dont know why the headline read "impotence and haircuts" to me. I should give you more credit (ba-dum-tiiish!)