I have done nothing all week. Hopefully I will get my thesis back this week and get some work done. I did, however, reread Watchmen. If you have not read this book yet, consider it highly recommended. What I found interesting was that when I read it in high school I totally missed the political and social undertones of the graphic novel.Plus, you want to read this before the movie comes out...or you could wait if the movie sucks and you could read the masterpiece that is Watchmen.
On another note, I am sorry to confess this, and I know most people will argue with me about it, but I hated Catcher in the Rye. I read it about 9 years ago because I had never read it in high school, and I despised it. I could not understand why people loved this book or thought it was so great. I thought Holden Caulfield was a horrible little whiny bitch of a character. I found him uninteresting, rude, and callous. Pretty much a person I would not want to hang around with.
The only thing I walked away with from that book was the Most Influential Person in Your Life thing, which I thought was clever that when he was asked this question in his class he put himself. This I thought was the only saving grace of an otherwise crappy novel. Because who influences our life most but ourselves?
Other than that, I understand that it was controversial for its time, and that it spoke to a generation of teenagers and their angst, but whatever. I may give one an insight into what life was really like in the 50's, but other than that, it didn't have much to say to me. Not much at all. Maybe it spoke to the Emo's of the 50's?
Strangely enough, I found The Chocolate War a more controversial book and one that really spoke to me on a weird plateau. However my all time favorite book has to be Fight Club. I remember when I first read that book I read it 4 times in a row. Such wonderful writing, such great description of a person disgusted with the world in which they live.
I hope I will have something to do tomorrow.
2 comments:
sure beats Oprah's book club
read v for vendetta.
Post a Comment