Saturday, December 02, 2006

Stools, Amps, and Cons:

Today my balls fell asleep. I was sitting on a stool at Rolando's (The best greasy spoon in Binghamton possible the US) and when I got up, my balls were asleep. This has happened before, but only when I sit on my amp while playing bass. There are few words to describe the feeling of pins and needles on your balls. Let us just say that it is something you do not want to experience.

Anyway, Last night, I let this girl use my phone because she needed to make a quick call, and as she was searching for the number to dial, she dropped my phone on the concrete sidewalk. I kind of cursed at the sky and told her to be careful with my phone please. After her call I apologized for being so materialistic, it is just a phone, but it is something that is very necessary to me, convenient and used all the time. It is my link to the outside world. She said she understood. I don't think she did.

While walking past the KFC on main street, this dude passes me and says, really loudly, "DAMN THAT SHO SMELLS GOOD!" Then he looks at me and says, "I saw you smiling there, I know what it looks like a black man saying that about chicken, but it is true!"

I laughed and nodded. I am no stranger to stereotypes, hell, I am a Puerto Rican who always has a knife on his person. But one must have the ability to laugh at ones self. Otherwise, you go through life angry at stupid shit. Some stereotypes are based on truths e.g.: Latinos are great lovers.

As I wandered on down the street, this pretty average looking guy approached me and started telling me his sob story about how he ran out of gas at the exit and he is heading home from Horse Heads to Norfolk and he got a ride to a church but there was no one there and if I had any money I could spare so he could buy some gas.

Nice story and all, only problem was that I had heard it before...three years ago from another guy. The freaking story was exactly the same except for the places he was from and going to. I was actually annoyed when he started talking because all I could think was, "I have heard this before and I can't believe that I fell for it the first time." I was pissed off that I had given this person who "needed some help" some money. Fucking loser begging dregs of society. I told the guy that I had nothing on me, which was the truth. He walked away from me and started talking to this other guy walking down the sidewalk. Man....I hate con-artists, and I hate that I gave that piece of shit money three years ago.

I also hate the fact that the story mentions a church so that people will feel like this guy really needs help. "Oh, he must be a guy down on his luck and it would be the Christian thing to give him some help!"

I guess one should never give money to someone who has a story. I do not mean to sound like a prick, but these people just annoy the piss out of me.

12 comments:

new jack city said...

at least the ones with a story are giving you a small piece of theater to pay for.

Josue' said...

My usual retort is "I was JUST going to ask you for some money." They usually look at me crazy and I just give them a blank stare as I walk past...I've done this 100's of times....

Anonymous said...

What do you say to your father when you ask him for money?....You (the guy who is tired of being dependant upon others) should be a little bit empathetic. Buy the guy some milk and bread or something....then you know he is not going to buy booze.

The D said...

Re-read my post and educate yourself, Coward.

The D said...

Identify yourself. You are the worst kind of person. You hide your identity claim to know me and lack the spine to tell me yourself. You are a pathetic human. Identify youself, show some courage, tell me to my face what you think of me insted of hiding.

Anonymous said...

SHOW YOURSEEELF! :D

phun N gab and the Gay Circus Elves said...

When people claim they need a ride, offer to buy them a bus fare or to call a cab to pay for their fare. Usually they'll walk away cuz most of them are liars. Why don't they just shoplift some food and get arrested like a true bum would do. In jail/prison there is plenty of food and shelter provided by the tax payers.

Anonymous said...

I've been approached by someone with the same story: he was just trying to get to his girlfriend's place in (I think) Whitney Point. 5 minutes later I was told by some passers-by that he was a local bum and has been using that story for a while.

I think a university town might be an ideal place for a con like that, because you have thousands of people who are only living in town for a few years. Plus they are probably easier targets for a sob story.

The church angle reminds me of something happened to me in CA. I and my coworkers just finished lunch, and some dissheveled guy asks me if I'll go into the adjacent convenience /liquor store and buy him something. He says he'll give me the money, but the owner won't do business with him.

I'm not sure what that's about, but if this guy won't sell him booze then I'm not going to be an enabler. The guy got agitated and says to me, "and you call yourself a Christian!" No I don't, I said. Maybe he needs to go to church and ask his preacher to buy him something from the liquor store.

Anonymous said...

you said stools

Anonymous said...

yeah, huhu huh

phun N gab and the Gay Circus Elves said...

*knee slap* (cynically)

Anonymous said...

"Latinos are great lovers."

Uh huh.