Saturday, December 23, 2006

TAXES? WTF!?

I have been in PR for almost four days now, and I am still sweating like a nun in a cucumber field. I have never been able to properly explain myself to this weather. Thank the Maker for Air Conditioning. I am sure I am getting all sorts of crocodile tears from those people in colder climates, but 82 degrees is just too much for winter.

Now, on to the "meat" of the post. Something terrible has happened. Something so horrendous that I am surprised no one has heard of it.

Puerto Rico now has a 7% sale tax on EVERYTHING!! Even staples such as bread and beef and chicken! I was so disturbed by this that I asked my mother how did this happen? She told me that the Government is going through some sort of financial trouble and just decided to tax everyone! They didn't even ask the people to put it to a vote! This is no longer a democracy! What is going on with this world? Taxation without representation! Wars were fought over such a thing! I asked my mother where were the people protesting in front of El Capitolio? She simply shrugged. I guess people are too busy working hard just to live and have no time to protest. Me, being unemployed, feel that it is my duty to start picketing outside the capital building. No that anyone would care if I did, but hey, I have to do something.

Everything is so freaking expensive here. Everything costs about double what it costs in the states. Do I really need ice cream imported from Vermont in my grocery? No I want ice cream made right here in Puerto Rico! I want to support our local farmers and local butchers and local coffee makers and local local local! This is the legacy the United States has left us on this Island. They have destroyed our ability to be self sufficient. They have made us dependent upon themselves. They have hooked us on their proverbial "crack" and now we will have a long road to walk simply to get off of it.

Viva Puerto Rico Libre!

14 comments:

phun N gab and the Gay Circus Elves said...

They've done it again... bloody savages !!! Uncle Sam is dirty... I was surprised that there weren't any "terrorist" attacks from Puerto Ricans after I heard the news of PR's tax a while back. You didn't know it was going to happen ? Yeah, who cares about ice cream from Vermont !!!

Anonymous said...

You think that's bad? Dont go to Culebra then...

Anonymous said...

You should open an ice cream shop....with coffee flavored ice cream. That is good. Don't put tax onto the sale of your ice cream-that way you can protest and eat tax free ice cream and have a job! Having cake and eating it too!!!!!!!!

you're welcome

Anonymous said...

Libre would probably equal Communist. I'm sure that Raul and Hugo would be first in line to eat up La Isla....

Not good.

The D said...

Communist? Hugo is a liberal, but in this country that pretty much equals communist, huh? Did you eat your Republican Obedience Chip today? Do you think the people(and the US for that matter) would just stand by and let Communists take over the island? Use your head for crying out loud.

You sound like Rush Limbaugh.

Anonymous said...

d,
anyone that says anything that makes you react outside of your tunnel vision is "rush limbaugh", eh?

if PR was libre, that pretty much means it is free to explore alliances that would benefit itself. POSSIBLY looking into a commmunist situation IS an option.

I was just presenting the WORST case scenario. Now get back to fark or the onion or whatever 20something-liberal
_because_it_makes_me_
look_so_intelligent_
not_unique_because_
I_am_just_like_the_
rest_of_the_"controversial"_
sheep virtual fish wrap
you waste time on.... :p

The D said...

EEEEEEEEEHHHHHH!

Sorry, you are incorrect. I use Rush because it is an easy descriptor for your jump to conclusions assumption that anyone who disagrees with the US is a Commie. That idea is so ingrained in everyones head that is is amazing how people still react to Communists. Every advancement for the people has come to fruition thanks to a "Liberal". Womens Rights? Civil rights? Workers rights? Yep, all Liberal Ideas.

If PR were to aline with Venezuela, does taht mean that we are all commies and hate amerika? Does it? In your world perhaps, but in your world "You are either with us or you are a Terrorist!" Ahh...that perfect black and white world that conservatives live by is so laughable.

It it benefits PR to get into trade contacts with Cuba, does that mean that Puerto Ricans are "Evil"?

What would be so bad about going Communist? I happen to think the worst case scenario is a Theocracy and a Dictatorship. Apparently you failed political science if you believe that Communism is a bad thing.

Is Fark Liberal? I didnt know that. Thanks for the heads up....@_@

Also, I hate the Onion. I prefer my humour from real life events not satire.

I didnt realize fark made me look intelligent and/or controversial. Nor that I was a sheep to these ideas? Huh? Look, I just use my head, I think rationally, I think globally and I dont fly off the handle and start waving my arms and acting like a screwball if I hear some guy say something that is disagreeable. Nor do I believe what that person said, right off the bat, I do research. I love research, hell, I am a king of research.

Rational thought is a wonderful thing. Think like Spock. Logically. "Shuttle Craft to Enterprise, Shuttle Craft to Enterprise. Spock here. Happy Holidays. Live long, and prosper."

Anonymous said...

I dont fly off the handle and start waving my arms and acting like a screwball if I hear some guy say something that is disagreeable.

hmmm...

Anonymous said...

d,
I love how people (not you of course...ok, yes, YOU) sit comfortably on the OUTSIDE looking into the greatness of communism and cycle through the same US bashing everytime. I really love the arse-kissing to the communism ideal and the fact that you just won't change your situation by actually moving to a great communist country to be happy and hand over 40% your pay check for the COMMON GOOD. Please......Are there good things about communistic and socialistic situations? Yes. Welfare and Social Security are two things that come to mind in the US, but overall, the scale seems more positive in my eyes the way in which the US allows citizens to live.

I know you've heard this MANY times, but read it again: LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT brotha.

Good Night Now........

Anonymous said...

Strap a potato to your penis and what do you get....you guessed it...a dictator.

The D said...

Anon, You get a cookie for paying attention. I am glad someone got that.

Josue, in case you have not been keeping score, I have "left it" unfortunetly, "they" wont leave my island...whatchugonnado? I suggest you watch Born on the 4th of July. Oh, and there are no true Communist countries out there. Nice try. The sad fact is that Communism must wont work with humans becuase humans cant stand to be equal. They also cant stand doing their part for a greater good. Now, if there were a country were everyone pulls their weight and works together and there is harmony...then I will gladly move to it.

new jack city said...

people do seem to think they need heros and superman archetypes, don't we. be careful, you don't want the fbi to mistake you for Filiberto Ojeda Rios, and shoot you.

shit, i give about 30% of my paycheck to a dictator now. 10% more wouldn't make much difference.

you did know that PR ran out of money in early may, didn't you?

Anonymous said...

Of course, a sales tax isn't a tax on everybody: it is a regressive tax, charging the poor a lot more per dollar than the rich.

After all, poor people spend most of their annual income on taxable goods, while rich people rarely spend their whole paycheck---and when they do spend, it is often for services rather than goods.

Anonymous said...

Thank Uncle Sammy for pissing on us little guys