Sunday, July 29, 2007

Four wasted days

What a fucking waste of time! Waste! Nothing was accomplished, nothing was achieved, nothing was nothing!

Father showed up Wednesday and DEMANDED that I drop my work and my job hunt and accompany him on a 13 hour to Tennessee to Visit Dave.

13 hours in a car with my father. Probably would sound like a load of fun if he didn't DRIVE 5 MILES UNDER THE SPEED LIMIT! Then yell at me for asking him to at least drive the limit! As punishment for asking him to drive faster he would drive lower. Here we are....two Puerto Ricans....driving in a car....going 50 in a 65. Here is a snippet of conversation.

Me: Pop, it says 65 but you can drive 5 miles above the limit and not get pulled over. Cops have better things to do.
Pop: Son, I like 65, I feel comfortable at this speed.
Me: What are you talking about? You drive like a maniac in Puerto Rico! You speed all the time! I have never seen you concerned as to the posted speed limit! Look, just drive 70 mph.
Pop: NO! FUCK 70!

If that was not painful enough, he would insist on listening to talk radio. No, not NPR or anything informational, he would listen to (especially when we got into Ohio"red" State) Republican talking heads!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This was my own personal hell! A passenger in a car driving too slow down the highway and listening to Rush (Racist Drug Addict Ignorant Fuck) Limbaugh.

Now, Father would say that he does not like the people, but he likes what they say. Then he would tell me that you have to know your enemy.

I told him that (and I will Godwin myself here, but I must) what he said is akin to someone saying, "I don't like Hitler, but I like what he says about exterminating the Jews." I also mentioned something about not wanting to know ignorance because that is all they know.

Father was not amused.

What really annoyed me was that he demanded I stop my work and my search for a job to join him on a cross country trip, then, while on the trip, he would demand to know why I am not finished and don't have a job. Gee...I wonder.

Fuck 70 indeed.

Some highlights of my trip:

White Castle!

While ordering some White Castle outside of Columbus I told the very white girl behind the counter that I had never been to a White Castle that didn't have a four centimeter thick wall of plexi-glass on the counter. She seemed horrified by this information.

Our room at the Extended stay hotel on Polaris Parkway was....208.

Emma the schnauzer is an awesome dog! She will sing with you if you start howling and she will jump on your back if you lay on your stomach.

Watching David actually finish Jordan.

Breakfast at the Waffle House and Dave suggesting we go to a museum. To which I replied, "I thought southerners hated science?" a little too loudly and offended the waitress.

Visiting Crook.

Espresso in a nice little town off of 71 in Kentucky. Good people there, treated me with kindness.

The proud ignorance of bush supporters.

Seeing David's house and car and noting how things rarely change.

Father telling me that a talking GPS is smarter then I am; ignoring my advice and getting lost in Cincinnati.

7 comments:

Josue' said...

I'm telling you right now....I'd love to develop a show staring your dad with a hidden camera.

Thanks to this post, it can be titled: "Fu*k 70" Talk about a ratings spike!

He's still one of the funniest people I have ever met....

Anonymous said...

hmm, I can one-up you; throw my dad in there to jazz it up :D

Josue' said...

Oh snap...you do have that right...Equally as unpredictable in his choice of words, but the raw emotions of Dr. Maeso will win every single time...

Anonymous said...

if you talk about people "complimenting" one-another well...naw they're complete opposites lol

Josue' said...

Whaddaya say dub,
Me: Executive Producer
You: Associate Producer

World: Blessed! :p

The D said...

....?

phun N gab and the Gay Circus Elves said...

Alright Socrates... your father is funny, sounds like something I would do to piss my kin off by driving below the speed limit. Rush ? Awww man, you didn't have a walkman to filter out that trash radio talk ? That must've been painful. I would've gone mad. It has to be totally different being Dr. Maeso's son than being his nephew. By the way, for some reason you father always reminds me of Hitler.