Work, work, work all day long.Just finished my first week of work. Was fun. Mostly orientation and reading and stuff like that.
Here are some things I have noticed about Washington D.C.:
1. The speed limit is more of a suggestion than a law.
2. Stay out of the HOV lanes in the morning. Cops are Nazi's about those things.
3. I would say about 10% of all drivers use their signal lights.
4. Most days people on the belt way are nice and let you change lanes. Friday, you are on your own.
5. Everywhere I go, people seem to have interesting conversations as opposed to the usual idiotic banter I got used to listening to in the conversations around me in Binghamton.
Job!
Job so far is fun. Learning new things, trying to solve problems. Lots of reading! New jargon and techno babble I have to learn.
Medical exam...
In order to work in the field and wear proper equipment, I had to make a complete physical on Friday. I have never been to a doctors office with such incompetence from the nurses.
They could not find my veins in my arms. I was jabbed twice in one arm, one needle hit a nerve and sent pain shooting down my arm. I yelped and she went to get another nurse. Nurse #2 jabbed my right arm now and again missed the vein. He went to get Nurse #3. Nurse #3 tried to jab a vein in my wrist and accomplished in causing me incredible pain as she moved my thumb and changed the angle of the needle. I then told her to try my right arm again and to take her time. There was no rush. I was not going anywhere. Find the vein and go for it. Well, 5th times the charm, and she got a producing vein. For a second, I pictured myself as Karl Ruprecht Kroenen from the Hellboy Movie. Dust for blood.
Anyway, I was then sent into the hearing booth to test my...hearing. I had on earphones and a jeopardy hand switch. When I heard the sound I was supposed to push the button. Fist time I pushed it the noise just kept increasing till it hurt my ears. I walked out of the booth and asked a nurse to help me because, as I told her, I highly doubt that the hearing test was designed to deafen me. They took me to another room as they got someone to fix the hand switch. In this other room I was given an EKG. This was fun, until I had to remove the electrodes from my freaking chest hair! All I have to say is, Ouch. It wasn't till later that night, when I found I forgot the electrodes on my upper arms, that I found out the glue they used was water soluble. Why the nurse failed to tell me this when I was yelling and tearing up in pain as I removed these things, I'll never know.
They eventually did fix the hearing machine, of which I scored Excellent! Because I rock.
They had to do the chest x-ray twice, because the nurse used the wrong settings.
I'm just waiting to hear if they lost my blood and urine.
About the only saving grace of that ordeal was the cute doctor. She was cracking jokes and making me laugh.
She also touched my nuts, but that was just part of the exam. At least I think it was?
4 comments:
I prefer an unattractive doctor. don't want a 'nice to see you' moment when she's touchin' the beanbag.
you young bucs need to learn some control. it will serve you better than the constant salutation in numerous situations. :p
DC... wow, I had to read all of the previous posts to finally read where you were going for your job. Bigger cities tend to have all of that stuff you noticed about DC. Even in this poor excuse of a city I vacate, it is the same as 1 to 4 on your list. You know we (the bros & I) used to live just outside of DC along time ago when I was a wee lad.
Your job, sounds like gov't stuff, especially with the health exams, nurses dealing with the needles like that, EKG, chest X-ray... wow, I've been through all of that a few times in the military just for annual exam purposes.
what, no prostate exam? i always say thanks after that one...
Post a Comment