Monday, March 27, 2006

Apples and Apples

Everyone thinks that they are above average, but they aren't. I am reading a Vonnegut book by the name of Hocus Pocus. In it the main character says that people are not raised ready with the fact that they will most likly fail in many of the things they will try. Failure is inevitable in this world. There are instances in which no matter what you try, you will fail. It is said that this coming generation of humans that are taught that everyone is a winner and that never get bad grades they just are told to get better, they are going to get a huge shock when they enter the real world. So sheltered, so naive, so ignorant.

So, I will constantly tell my child that he has failed. I will tell him to expect nothing from his hard work. I will tell him that he lost at futbol because he, in actuality, LOST! He will be ready for the world. He will not have eyes filled with stars and possibilities. He will be the perfect being, the Kwisatz Haderach! Behold!

Remember, it is our ability to deny instinct that makes us human.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

HE WILL BE....mentally damaged. :D

phun N gab and the Gay Circus Elves said...

It's like a military way to treat people, when you treat them like crap. If you tell them that they're a failure, when they succeed they'll be surprised at their accomplishments. I'm sure they'll be more grateful. Don't be like one of those over-dramatic wuss type boys complaining to their father, "Dad, you were never there for me !" Boo hoo !!! "Can we hug now ?" Like some Disney movie that went straight to video.