Sunday, March 19, 2006

Exit 34 on 86/17

I was driving at 70 miles per hour just past the exit to Hornell, when I felt my car hit something. I was right in the middle of listening to Mr. Mathers, and was startled out of my mind. I slow down and pull to the side of the road to check out the damage. I did not recall seeing anything on the road, and nothing was thrown by my car in the rearview. As I opened the door, I heard a hissing sound. I followed this sound to my brand new rear tire. There was a pretty substantial hole between the treads. I new that I didn't have much time before it was flat, so I jumped back in the car and bolted for the almond exit. I was lucky I did this because I would have never been able to change the tire in the highway, but I will get to that later.

I pulled into the Whelply's driveway with just a little air left in the tire. I got out the jack and placed it under the car so as to not let the weight rest on the rim. Six lug nuts later and jacked up from the ground, I could not get the tire loose. It was stuck on the axel like glue. Kicks didn't work, neither did hammers, but a couple good whacks with the sledge hammer got her loose. One full size spare later I was ready to go. This was my first time changing a tire in this beast of a car. It is quite a pain in the ass. Mostly because of the stuck tire. At least the new tire is covered by the road hazard warranty.

Here is for the wretched conglomerate known as Sams Club. I do not even have a membership with them.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you carry a sledge in your car? or did you buy/borrow it?