So, I had a professor accuse me of something I didn't do. But it was his tone that I take most offence to. Who the hell does he think he is to speak to me in such a way? Here is how the conversation went(paraphrased because I can't recall every exact quote).Dr.Obdurate: Hey Dante,Is any of your material in the hood upstairs?
Me: Umm...some of it is mine, Specifically the Lithium Meta-tungstate.
Dr.Obdurate: Well, there is a broken thermometer up there.
Me: What? I was using that thermometer for my experiments! As far as I know, it was in one piece.
Dr.Obdurate: Well YOU (pointing his finger at me and glaring with an accusing eye) have to call Environmental Health and Safety. If Joe saw that in there he would have a Shit-fit at mercury volatilizing in the lab! (At this point he was scowling at me)
Me: Me? I did not break it, but I will call them.
Dr. Obdurate: (Walks away in a huff)
First of all, I am upset that someone would break my thermometer, seeing as how it took me a while to actually find one in that most disorganized of labs.
Second of all, I take great, and I mean GREAT, offence to being accused of something that I did not do. More so, the lack of respect that was thrown at me boils my blood. How he could think that I would be so ignorant and reckless as to leave an environmental health hazard unattended? That I would be so irresponsible as to endanger the health of people in the lab? That he would actually demand that I call the people the to clean up lab? I cannot explain now much this angers me. I am so freaking pissed. Accuse me of things I did not do, then demand I clean it up? Disregard my word and instantly call me a liar in such a way? Obviously this man does not know me. I am Fucking OSHA Certified for crying out loud! I know the history of health hazards, you don't! I KNOW to clean up MY messes.
Wow....I am pissed, almost as if I have reached my Boiling point.
Sure, I am instantly guilty of any wrong doing! Damn...my only response to people who treat me like dirt is this. Next time, try a less accusing and belittling tone.
4 comments:
"I know the history of health hazards, you don't!" <--- some of your best work yet.
Which is better (or more accurate)... a digital thermometer or a mercury thermometer ?
Don't be so "glib" dub-d... ;p
yo phun,
the question is which one would you rather have rectally (if given no other option)....perish the thought...
yo j,
no thanx, I'm not the one pondering rectal thoughts
*wink wink*
Post a Comment